Elementary School Principal
Welcome to the Elementary division at Gyeonggi Suwon International School (GSIS), and thank you for visiting our website! We are thankful for your interest, and hope we can answer the questions you have about the Elementary School. Choosing a school for yourt child is a very important decision. The Elementary division at GSIS strives to educate the whole child - academically, spiritually, socially, emotionally, and physically.
We believe that this philosophy of education is right and best, and have added some information below that may help you understand what we mean.
- As a PYP school, our teachers work diligently to create units of inquiry that will challenge, engage, and motivate our students to enjoy learning and develop critical thinking skills.
- Our academic program is rigorous, and our teachers differentiate instruction to provide enrichment and remediation as needed.
- The Elementary school chooses curriculum materials on the basis of educational quality and developmental appropriateness. Our educational program is not textbook driven, but curriculum driven.
- We use an inquiry method of teaching which is an approach to student learning that invites students to explore academic content by posing, investigating, and answering questions based on the unit of work studied in the class.
- The general guideline for homework is typically 10 minutes per day per grade level. Because each child is different and the plans for each day can vary, it is important to remember that these are guidelines and the actual time may vary. Reading is encouraged every day for additional enjoyment and practice.
- Elementary students do not normally have homework on weekends, although as mentioned above, we do encourage reading every day.
- Elementary students participate in related specialist classes including physical education (PE), art, music, library, and Korean language.
- Elementary students participate in Bible as part of their daily curriculum. We use scripture and integrate biblical truth throughout the day, not just during Bible class.
- Every student participates in weekly chapel services. At the elementary level, chapel includes praise and worship, Bible teaching, and recognition of character qualities. Each elementary grade level assists in leading chapel at various times throughout the year.
- We have a Student Life Minister who coordinates chapels, Spiritual Emphasis Week, and works closely with the principal to meet the spiritual needs of our students.
Socially / Emotionally/ Physically
All teachers use collaborative groups within the classroom to enhance and foster good relationships and cooperative learning.
- After school activities provide additional opportunities for physical, artistic, social and academic enrichment.
- The elementary school counselor works with our students in a variety of ways. She leads classroom and small group activities and works with individual children and parents to assess and help meet the social/emotional needs of our students.
- Field trips provide opportunities to extend learning beyond the walls of the classroom.
- Students are encouraged to participate in various projects throughout the year.
- IB Learner Profiles and character traits are integrated in each content area, along with emphasis given during weekly Chapels.
I hope this information has been helpful for you and would appreciate the opportunity to talk with you more via phone, email or in person. Please feel free to call or email anytime with questions.
Have a blessed day!